Recent poker strategy articles from our star contributors.
With the month of September in full swing and poker tournaments at the forefront of player-based news, we’d like to share 10 recent Upswing Poker strategy articles that will make for great reading this weekend.
1. Upswing strategy writer George Mathias takes an in-depth look — through the eyes of Lab coach Fried Meulders — at one of the most crucial facets of post-flop play in his August 25th contribution: 5 Not-So-Easy River Spots Explained.
In the article, our readers can learn how Fried and his collaborators deal with some of the trickiest situations when the most money is potentially on the line.
2. George also put quite a bit of work into his August 15th detailed outline which explains 6 Essential Tips for Dealing with Downswings in Poker Tournaments.
The article could prove particularly helpful for aspiring for-profit players around the globe who are competing for their share of more than $100 million USD in guaranteed cash prizes this month in marquee online poker tournament series.
3. Becoming more aggressive in real money poker competition is not something that comes naturally for every player, especially those who are new to the game. And effective poker aggression eludes even some of the most experienced pros.
Poker player, sci-fi lover and “crazy cat dude” Andy Stricklen has those players in mind when he discusses Why (And How) You Need To 3-Bet More Often. The in-depth guide is a great tool for recreational players who are looking to improve their preflop game.
The result was a great content piece on a little-known tactic that lays out How to Push & Pull in Pot Limit Omaha Poker. This is a worthwhile read for our readers who enjoy or want to know more about The Great Game.
5. Tournament and cash game strategy differ from each other in many ways. That why George wants you to know about the Optimal Big Blind Defense when playing tournaments versus cash games. Discover how to adapt in both formats so you can make the best of the least-preferred starting position in poker.
6. Have you been watching a lot of Televised Poker in recent months? Find out how the pros notice Verbal Tells in Poker and use them to their advantage on the live felts. Poker author Zach Elwood breaks down how you can obtain a better grasp of what’s going on when players compete for millions on TV, and how to incorporate this knowledge into your own game.
7. Longtime professional poker player Miikka Antonnen of Finland posted a great written summary on How to Play Draws When Short-Stacked on September 5th. If you’re looking for advice on how to play your huge draws on the flop when you don’t have a lot of chips behind, then this article by @chuckbasspoker will be a very informative read.
8. Looking for reinforcement material that is frequently used by our Upswing Lab members? George takes the time to relay Why The Best Poker Players Make Decisions at Random.
9. Furthermore, if you’re looking for quick poker advice from three-time WSOP bracelet winner Doug Polk, Team Upswing Director of Content Mike Brandy has gathered 10 Quick Poker Tips that will improve your game in just 5 minutes.
10. Would you like to turn a profit at the brick & mortar tables? George takes us through 8 Battle-Tested Poker Tactics that will allow you to crush live poker games.
David Huber (known as “dhubermex” online) has been involved in the poker industry for more than a decade. He currently assists several poker and gaming entities as a researcher, writer, and consultant. Former Editor-in-Chief & Head Moderator of online tournament rankings site PocketFives (2006-2011).